THINKING OF A CAREER IN COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE?
One of our agents, Meshesha Robel, shares his thoughts on the real estate industry and his advice for all those interested in a career in #CRE:
1. How many years of experience do you have in real estate?
2. What initially attracted you to work in commercial real estate?
"I like that I can use a lot of creativity in commercial real estate, you can really do a lot. CRE is like a canvas – you have to visualize it in your head and then put the concept together."
"It’s more much creative than people think."
3. What is some of the best advice your colleagues have given you?
"Michael Saperia [Our Senior VP], has taught me the value of formulas, projections and how commercial real estate deals are structured."
"Various colleagues have told me that it’s important to ‘be patient’ and it’s some of the best advice that I’ve received. Also, I’ve been told that any deal can be saved."
4. What advice do you have to give to someone who is thinking about getting their real estate license? (Other than “Don’t do it!”)
"One of the most important traits you need is to be persistent. Nothing gets done the first time, so it’s important to keep moving forward!
"Also, try to maintain an honest reputation from the beginning and have faith that a deal will come to a close."
5. What innovations are you seeing that will have a profound effect on the CRE industry in the future?
"Construction methods are changing. And the entire development process is going to become more efficient."
6. What do you love most about being a real estate agent?
"I love the being able to use my creativity. The flexible hours are also a plus."
7. What do you believe is the most challenging part of working in commercial real estate?
"It’s a lengthy process from start to finish. Both parties need to be on the same page and it can be a roller coaster sometimes so as I mentioned before, it’s important to be persistent!"
8. If you weren’t going into real estate, what do you think you would be doing?
"Construction and financing, but all I really see myself doing is real estate."
LET’S GET PERSONAL:
1. What is your favourite spot in the city? Restaurant? Neighbourhood?
"Church – I find it helps to go when things get stressful."
2. What’s one thing you couldn’t live without?
"My faith and my community... and of course Anne (our office manager)! She really is a super hero."
3. What is the strangest job you’ve ever had?
"I’ve had a lot of jobs growing up. Probably one of the strangest ones was when I worked as bouncer."
4. Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why?
"I enjoyed traveling to Italy when I was a kid. I’d love to go to Florida within the next year or two to see what the hype is about."
5. If you could do another job for just one day, what would it be?
"Movie-star Meshesha. Sounds good doesn’t it?"
6.Tell me something that might surprise us about you?
"I'm strongly considering Veganism."
7.If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you?
"Denzel Washington. Do you see the resemblance?"
9. And finally, complete this sentence… you’re happiest when
"...I'm with my family."